Sunday, February 23, 2020

Wikipedia Trail From Edgar Allan Poe to The Kraken

Edgar Allan Poe
While going through social media, I read Edgar Allan Poe and decided to learn more about him. He was one of the first people to live off of his bookings and writing which was significant at his time because it was uncommon. I also learned that he married his 13 year old cousin, Virginia Clemm. My high English teacher taught about Edgar Allan Poe’s work but I never knew that he was involved in incest. Furthermore, Poe’s works influenced many authors such as H.P. Lovecraft.

H. P. Lovecraft
I’ve seen his name so many times that I wanted to learn more about him as well. He’s famous for his supernatural horror stories such as “The Call of Cthulhu” and “At the Mountain of Madness.” I came across Lovecraft before and have been wanting to read his books for quite some time now. What’s ironic is that H.P. Lovecraft’s stories weren’t popular at their time of release and he was basically unknown during his career. However, several years after his death, he is seen as one of the most significant 20th century writers of supernatural horror writing.

The Call of Cthulhu
This title caught my attention because I’ve heard of Cthulhu but never knew exactly what it was. Reading the article about this book, I now know that Cthulhu is a huge sea creature that is supposed to sleep at the bottom of the ocean forever until it awakens at an apocalyptic era. I find stories like this extremely fascinating. I love learning about the unknown and the ocean so when the two genders are combined, it’s the perfect story for me.

The Kraken
Now, the infamous story of the Kraken has always interested me because it’s terrifying to think that a creature like that might exist. Nowadays, it’s more likely that the Kraken was just based on sitings of the giant squid or octopus. I learned that the story originated from Scandinavian folklores. Based on Norse sagas, the terrifying creature lives in the seas around Norway and Greenland.



The Kraken
Source: Wikipedia

1 comment:

  1. Hey April,
    Fun trail to go down. I love the author's you looked at, they both have really interesting bodies of work. I never really connected Poe and Lovecraft before, but it makes sense. It is weird to learn about Poe's romantic life, it creeped me out when I first heard that fact about him. Lovecraft and his cat's name was also one of those facts that change your view on an author for me. I loved both their works though, so I had to seperate the work from the author. Lovecraft's work especially is a fun read.

    ReplyDelete

Did You Guys Miss Me? 2022

 Dear My Loyal Followers,       Today I just remembered that I had this blog. It is crazy that its been two years since my last post. So man...