Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Reading Notes: Ramayana, Part A

It’s evident that men plays an important role in the story. For example, Dasharatha who had three wives but no children, wanted sons to inherit his throne. I would like to change the gender roles so that instead of the king making the choices, it’s the queens. I haven’t thought out how a gender change would affect the story but, I would like to see the change.

When Rama and Sita met, I really appreciated how they were meant to be soul mates because they had ties to a god and goddess. I thought the romance between them was beautiful and would like to keep that part. The part I enjoyed the most was when Rama bent and broke the Bow of Shiva because it further established how godlike and impressive Rama is. I really enjoyed this being a hero story.

As of right now, there isn’t much I want to change except for the execution of the story. The word choice and grammar made the story difficult to understand at some parts. Therefore, I would definitely retell the story so that it’s easy to understand. One more thing that I would change is the part where Dasharatha listens to his wife Kaikeyi. I did not enjoy how Kaikeyi was forcing Dasharatha to banish his beloved son, Rama, or else she would kill herself. Being the wife of a king, I would expect her to have more dignity. While that whole scenario was taking place, I also wanted to know what the other wives were thinking. I wanted to know what their thoughts were because if was one of the other wives, I would be upset. If I were to retell this story, I would definitely include the perspectives of the other wives which brings me to my next point. The whole story was very narrative. I never knew what Rama, Dasharatha, or Lakshmana were thinking about. I wanted to know how they felt in certain parts of the story. Plus, the story rarely talks about the fourth brother, Shatrughna.

Bibliography
“Ramayana Online: Public Domain Edition,” M. Dutt, R, et. al., Web Source

Rama, Sita, and Lakshmana
Source: Ancient History

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did You Guys Miss Me? 2022

 Dear My Loyal Followers,       Today I just remembered that I had this blog. It is crazy that its been two years since my last post. So man...